Class Tools — Kudos (The Shrine of the Ancients)
Kudos, also known as the Shrine of the Ancients, enable students to praise one another to make school a more positive experience.
Kudos should be short, specific, and meaningful notes praising one or multiple peers for their actions or behaviors.
Learn more about:
Students can submit kudos for your approval from their class dashboard or directly from the kudos interface.
Submitting a kudos for a single student:
- Click on the students icon in the sidebar navigation
- Find the student to send a kudos to
- Hover the cursor over their name and click View profile
- Click the purple Send kudos button
Submitting a kudos for a single team
- Click on the students icon in the sidebar navigation
- Click on the list view button in the upper navigation
- Find the team to send a kudos to
- Click the purple Send kudos button below the team name
Submitting kudos for one or more students:
- Click on the flower kudos icon in the sidebar navigation
- Click the purple Send kudos in the upper right corner
- Select the student(s) or team to send a kudos to
Regardless of the steps taken and who the kudos is sent to, there are four different types of kudos:
- Great Job
- Thank You
- Totally Awesome
- Very Happy
Once they have selected a recipient and a type, students can personalize their kudos by entering a meaningful message in the text editor. They can even include images, links, or videos in their message!
Once the kudos is ready, a student can Preview it or Submit it for your approval. A submitted kudos can no longer be edited!
Want to see how it works? Try it out in the demo class!
Friendly suggestion: Do not approve kudos while displaying Classcraft on a projector.
Student-submitted kudos will be waiting in your kudos inbox. There are two ways to access your Inbox while there are kudos in it:
From the Class Tools:
- Click on the Class Tools toolbox icon in the sidebar
- Choose the Kudos (Shrine of the Ancients) tool
- Click on the Inbox tab to view all pending kudos
From the Activity Center:
- Navigate to the Activity Center from your home page or click the To-dos clipboard icon in your class dashboard
- Scroll or Jump to the kudos section
Your inbox is split into two sections, provided there are kudos to fill both: awaiting approval and approved.
To view a kudos, click on it!
After you review the kudos, you can:
- Approve: If the kudos looks good and can be published on the Class Wall as is, choose Approve.
- Request changes: If a kudos is good but needs a bit of work (such as correcting a typo or removing an image), you can send it back to your student and ask for a review. You must provide feedback to the sender.
- Delete: If a kudos is unacceptable, you can simply delete it. This could be for kudos containing profanity, spam, etc.
Tip: If unacceptable kudos are an issue in your classroom, consider creating a behavior preset to remove Hearts whenever a student submits a problematic kudos.
- Double the rewards: If a kudos is exceptionally thoughtful or well-written, or if the highlighted good deed deserves extra praise, you can double the default rewards by marking the kudos as amazing. You can change the default rewards in your settings at any time.
- Auto-Publish: You can make approved kudos automatically visible on the Class Wall. Your students will also be rewarded for approved kudos immediately. You can also change this option in your settings.
Students won’t be able to read one another’s kudos until you publish them on the Class Wall, which means you can approve them ahead of time and publish them only when you’re ready.
Approved kudos remain in your inbox until you publish them to your Class Wall, which also grants rewards to senders and recipients.
To publish kudos:
- Open the Shrine of the Ancients in your Class Tools
- Select the Inbox tab
- Click the purple Publish kudos button in the upper right corner
Note: Kudos that are awaiting approval will not be published, but all others will.
You can choose to present published kudos to the class. This is especially awesome if you’re displaying Classcraft on a projector!
Click on the purple Present kudos button in the upper right corner of your Class Wall to display kudos one by one. Before the presentation starts, choose the dates you want to present for. You can choose to present kudos from this week, this month, all time, or a specific date range.
Click Present to begin!
Use the arrows on your keyboard or click on the arrows on the side of the presentation to view the next or previous kudos.
Click Back to end the presentation and return to your Class Wall.
Mistakes happen, we get that!
You may have approved and published a kudos you didn't mean for students to see yet (or at all). To delete a kudos:
- View your Class Wall
- Click the More options (...) button
- Select Delete kudos to permanently remove and delete the kudos
Kudos settings can be edited in your class settings:
Here, you can set rewards for students who send and receive kudos. As these rewards are granted when kudos are published, you can change the rewards after approving kudos, if needed.
We suggest setting a small reward so students won’t try to use the kudos system to rake up a lot of points and level up quickly. Uncheck a reward type to remove it.
Check Auto-publish if you want your:
- kudos to be automatically published to your Class Wall
- students to receive their rewards as soon as you approve their kudos
Note: You can also change this setting as you’re approving kudos.